On Instagram, I began noticing I was getting many followers from people who practice “keto” or a “ketogenic diet” that puts their bodies into “ketosis”. There were huge communities that practice this as a way to lose weight and improve physical and mental performance. On Instagram alone there are over 1.5 millions posts tagged “keto” of peoples meals, recipes and progress pictures!
Before we get into it, what is keto? Keto is a low carb diet that makes your body burn fat for energy as opposed to carbs. This means you are able to ONLY eat fats, proteins and slow carbs so no breads, pastas, potatoes, sugar and most fruits… Yes. Even fruits.
I found a few lists online that outline what someone would likely include on a keto diet:
- Peanut Butter
- Coconut Butter
- Coconut Oil
- Olive Oil
- Macadamia Nuts
- Caesar/Ranch Salad Dressings
- Chicken Fat
- Non-hydrogenated Lard
- Whole Eggs
- Meat (i.e. beef, veal, goat, & lamb)
- Poultry (i.e. chicken, duck, quail, & pheasant)
- Bacon and Sausage. Check labels for anything cured in sugar, or if it contains extra fillers.
- Fish (i.e. catfish, cod, halibut, mackerel, mahi-mahi, salmon, snapper, trout, & tuna)
- Shellfish (i.e. clams, oysters, lobster, crab, scallops, mussels, & squid)
Vegetables (Basically all the non-starchy vegetables):
- Green Beans
- Green Bell Peppers
- Snow Peas
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Cheese (i.e. cheddar, mozzarella, cream cheese, marscapone cheese, etc.)
- Sour Cream
- Cottage Cheese
Nuts & Seeds:
- Brazil Nuts
- Chia Seeds
- Coconut (unsweetened and dried)
- Flax Seeds
- Macadamia Nuts
- Pine Nuts
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Sesame Seeds
- Sunflower Seeds
- Coffee (black, with whipping cream, sweetener)
- LOTS OF WATER
Check out this link for more details about the information above: http://www.ruled.me/ketogenic-diet-food-list/
Most doctors suggest to do it no more than 3 months but there are people who have been doing it for years as a lifestyle. People in ketosis for years say they have cut a lot of body fat and feel more energetic, but make sure you do your own research and consult your doctor because this is a drastic diet.
So I decided I’m going to only try it for a week and see how I feel considering I already love eggs and avocado. I do not see myself doing this for the rest of my life but thought it would be interesting to see what the hype around keto is! So I will get back in a week from today with my results.
Stay tuned to my Instagram page to see the foods I ate for a week and see my experience!